7am… the first nowell / Joy To The World
8am… We Wish you a Merry Christmas
9am… Jingle Bells
11am … O Christmas Tree
Noon — Angels We Have Heard on High
5pm … Deck the Halls
6pm … the First Nowell
SilentNight [the sun is setting]
7pm… Joy to the World
9pm … Jingle Bells
10pm … Oh Come All Ye Faithful
11pm… I come all ye faithful [to bed]
Sometimes things are dumb and need to be called out as such.
I am starting a list of things that are dumb:
- Elf on a Shelf.
- Controversies around Christmas (whether to say “Happy Holidays” / whether to spell it “Xmas” vs “Christmas” / Starbucks Red Cups) … we have had this conversation
- Hallmark holidays and commercial holidays like “Cyber Monday” that are all hype.
- Superlative lists made by media groups you have never heard of (basically PR) (example: “NoNameOnlineCompany names Richmond among the top ten cities for Singles!” … and then you click on the link and learn all about what NoNameOnlineCompany wants to sell you.)
- “Special television events” and ” very special episodes” that are ploys for viewers during sweeps weeks.
- Fake movements promoted by corporate interests (aka fake grassroots, aka astroturfing), or advertisements that say “Join The Movement” as if eating a burger is the same as activism.
- (Will add more later)
Mostly, these are “things that people WANT to be things-that-are-things, that ARENT’s THINGS” if that makes any sense.
This raises a lot of questions. Here are the answers to those questions:
Is it wrong to be super judgey of things? sometimes! And some other times it is right and good to call out things that are dumb. I don’t want to be judgey guy, but I reserve the right to call a spade a spade.
Isn’t there a difference between opinions and facts? Yes. Facts are true everywhere and opinions are whatever a person believes about the facts.
Do facts really exist? Yes.
Does everyone get their own opinion? yes, and some opinions are dumb.
Isn’t your observation about “things that are dumb” merely an opinion? No, elf on a shelf is truly dumb, and is intellectually indefensible. I reserve “dumb” for similarly indefensible cultural dreck that could go away without any negative repercussions.
Do I personally have opinions that are not facts? yes, such as my pet peeve about people who disparage cargo shorts. Reasonable people can disagree about some differences in opinions and still respect each other. On the other hand, some opinions and cultural phenomena are objectively dumb. That is what this post is about.