* Chapter 1 – page 25 -Scarlett hangs w/ Tarleton twins and learns of Ashley’s engagement. RUMORS OF WAR!
* Chapter 2 – p42 – Gerald buys Dilcey (Pork’s wife) and Prissy. Ashley is weird. Ashley loves Scarlett. Character introductions incl: Mammy and Slatterys
* Chapter 3 – p58 – bios od Ellen (Holy) and Gerald (Irish)… family origins. Scarlett vs. Southern Women.
* Chapter 4 – p78 – News about Fort Sumter?! Jonas Wilkerson (fired!) + Emmie Slattery. Dinner Prayer. Scarlett and religion (She loves Ellen and Ashley more than God?)
* Chapter 5 – p90 – warm April. pregaming food before BBQ (lady like). Carriage banter with Tarleton Women and Gerald.
* Chapter 6 – 107 – BBQ smells. Meet all the neighbor families. RHETT (bio). Meditations on men and women. Ashley and other men talk war and Northerners. Ashley and Scarlett talk. Rhett and Scarlett talk. Lincoln and WAR! Charles hits on scarlett.
* Chapter 7 – 139 to 146 – Scarlett, wife and widow in 2 weeks. preggers with Wade Hampton. Widow rules.
* Chapter 8 (page 149) — May 1862. ATL history! Ms. Pittypat + Peter … Other characters 156-157 + Industrialization of the South + Blockade … Charles and Melanie Wilkes … nursing the sick in the south
* Chapter 9 (page 167) — prepping for bazaar… other sacrifices for The Cause = sacred .. Rhett p184 = blockade runner + dances with Scarlett
* Chapter 10 (page 199) — ppl mad at Rhett. Tarletons et al back on from leave from war at 12 Oaks / Tara . Gerald comes and Rhett drinks him under the table.
* Chapter 11 (page 210) — Asheley’s letters. esp doubts about the Cause.
* Chapter 12 (page 217) — Autumn 1862. War drags on… culture changes (informality) … more visits by Rhett
* Chapter 13 (page 234) — Dr. Meade writes about Rhett in letter to the editor (war speculators). Scarlett + Rhett flirt and exchange and gifts and kisses.
* Chapter 14 (page 248) — Christmas 1862. Spring 1863. Then LOSSES (dead)
* Chapter 15 (page 259) — Army driven back to VA (winter 1963 – 1864)…. Ashley comes home for a visit + Scarlett gets a kiss.
* Chapter 16 (page 271-279) — Tennessee held by Union … Chickamauga + Longstreet … Grant + Sheridan + Sherman … + Scarlett considers divorce…. Ashley is POW at Rock Long Island.
* Chapter 17 (page 283) – MAY 1864. Sherman advances Dalton to Kennesaw… People freak out May to Mid-June. Rhett asks for a kiss. (Go to Halifax!)
* Chapter 18 (page 303) – Sent ATL men to kennesaw… they come back injured as Decateur is taken… but they were changes… as veterans… then evac of ATL
* Chapter 19 (page 317) Siege of ATL … Scarlett and Melanie stay back… July 1864 ATL surrounded … then the yanks swing to Jonesboro (p303) … Fear of Yankee rape. Rhett reads her mind and then proposes she become his *mistress*
* Chapter 20 (page 331) – Aug 31, 1864 … troops relocate to Jonesboro.. fear and ruminations as Ellen & sisters at Tara have typhoid… Melly starts having labor pains.
* Chapter 21 (page 339) – sending for Dr. Meade / send Prissy –> Meade is at the Atlanta train station dealing with mass of casualties.
* Chapter 22 (page 353) – Scarlett and Prissy deliver Melly’s baby (badly) … Prissy is sent to have Rhett get them an escape from ATL.
* Chapter 23 (page 359) – ATL burns and Rhett saves Mellie / Scarlett / Prissy and Rhett = Satan by romancing Scarlett and loving her.
* Chapter 24 (page 376) – They wake up in a random field and find a cow and wonder about Tara. Old Man Gerald greets them and says 12 Oaks burned and Mother dead… Toting the weary load… Scarlett’s end of youth.
* Chapter 25 (page 402) – Hangover… Scarlett is now a hardcore mean person … the fall of manners… Ellen = Old South
* Chapter 26 (page 415) – Gerald = Useless … Scarlett murders invader – Scarlett heals and talks to neighbors to learn about current events and discusses with Grandma Fontain and talks about next spring.
* Chapter 27 (page 435) — mid-November 1864… Hiding livestock from Yankee pillagers (p440)… pillagers burn the cotton AGAIN (kitchen fire)
* Chapter 28 (page 446) – Pork steals food for the OHara family. Scarlett has The Dream. Frank Kennedy brings news and help. (ATL *burned*) … Frank proposes to Suellen.
* Chapter 29 (page 460) – April 1865. the Waw is over. Local boys return. Everyone is poor. No men, No babies, and no slaves.
* Chapter 30 (page 472-486) – Johnny comes marching home… including Ashley + Will Benteen (Crackers)
Other Historical Context from Part 2.
HERE IS A GREAT LINK FOR HISTORICAL CONTEXT USING ANIMATED MAPS OF BATTLES
Chapter 8 (Page 149)
Chapter 12 (Page 217)
Chapter 14 (Page 248)
– Stonewall Jackson in the valley.
– 7 Days battle RVA.
– Semmes + Confederate Navy
– Lee + Jackson
– Victories in TN (Shiloh April 1862 Chickamauga + Vicksburg)(Gen Morgan & Gen Hood)
– 2nd Battle of Bull Run – Aug 1862
– death toll + blockade (homespun)
– Battle of F-burd = victory!
– Chancellorsburg Spring 1863 (Jackson Dead // Grant at Vicksburg)
– Vicksburg July 4, 1863
– Lee taking it to PA (Gettysburg)
Other Historical Context from Part 3.
p 283 =
* May 1864 — Sherman in Mountains above Dalton, GA
* Western and Atlantic Railroad
* Gen Joe Johnston (old Joe)
* canons from Rome
* iron from Etowah and Alatoona
* TN fighting for 3 years
* Resaca … Calhoun, Adairsville, Casswell, Cartersville, New Hope Church, Big Shanty
* Kennesaw Mtn (near MArietta) + Pine Mountain + Lost Mountain = 22 miles from ATL
* Home Guard / Joe Brown’s Pets
* John Bell Hood (Sherman cuts Decateur)
* Peachtree creek / Decateur
* Ezra Church / Utoy Creek
* Rough n Ready
* Wilson’s raiders
* Hood went north after ATL fell.